Monday, November 18, 2013

Microaquarium observation week 4

In my microaquarium this week I found many interesting things. Among my findings was an amphora ovalis, which is a common type of freshwater diatom and is also known as alga. These organisms have two arched margins that create a center valve and this is mostly how they are identified. Diatoms are mostly unicellular, and produce their own food because they are a type of algae, essentially. Another form of algae I noticed was the chlorella. Chlorella is a single-celled green algae that contains pigments chlorophyll a and b. An interesting fact about this organism is it is edible and desired as a food source because of its high protein content. A picture of the chlorella is shown above. I also found many cyanobacteria linked together almost like a chain of small green cells. Cyanobacteria are usually found in colonies and are some of the oldest known fossils in the world (3.5 billion years old). The last organism I identified was a epalxis. Upon research of the epalxis I could not find much information on it at all, so I am guessing it is rare. It is an odontosome ciliate that usually can be found in putrid and contaminated waters. This organism is a freshwater protist that almost resembles a microscopic jelly-fish. It has characteristic cilia protruding from various spots on its body that move somatically. A picture of the epalxis can be shown above as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment